Considering the fact that the bronze dagger from the Silla Dynasty was excavated around this area, it estimated that people from the prehistoric times lived here. It was called Mulahyegun during the Baekje Period and renamed Muan-gun during the Silla Dynasty. It was once called Mullyang-gun of Naju-si, Haeyang-do during the Goryeo Dynasty and regained its title as Muan-gun during the Joseon Dynasty. Mokpojin was built in the early period of the Joseon Dynasty. It was designated as an open port during the era of the Great Han Empire and promoted to Muan-bu. The name changed to Mokpo-bu during the Japanese Colonization. The current name Mokpo-si was given in 1949 after the independence.
Belonged to the Mahan’s sphere of influence during the tribal state era of the Three Han States.
Three Kingdom Era
- Incorporated into Baekje during the reign of King Geunchogo (346-375) of Baekje and belonged to Mulahye-gun.
- Belonged to Myeonju during the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Silla
- It has been suggested that the name Mokpo was derived from the Chinese characters of Mokgae, which refers to an important role of its topography.
- Changed to Mulyang-gun in the 3rd year of King Hyejong (946)
- Belonged to Muan-hyeon, Wollajumok in Haeyang-do during the reign of King Seongjong, the 6th king of Goryeo
- Merged into one region of Jeolla-do during the reign of King Hyeonjo, the 8th king of Goryeo(1018)
Japanese Colonization Era
- Oct. 1, 1910 Changed name to Mokpo-bu
- 1932 Merged the entire region of Jukgyo-ri and parts of Sanjeong-ri, Iro-myeon, Muan-gun (became one of the six cities around the county)
- Jan. 22, 1914 Opened Honam Line Railway
Post 8.15 Independence
- (Apr. 01. 1948) Changed the name of area unit to dong
- (Aug. 15. 1949) Renamed Mokpo-bu to Mokpo-si
- (Apr. 25. 1952) Elected mayor by popular vote through the 1st local election along with the composition of a city council
- (Jan. 01. 1963) Merged parts of Iro-myeon, Muan-gun
- (July. 01. 1973) Merged Seokhyeon-ri, Samhyang-myeon, Muan-gun to Iro-dong
- (Jan. 01. 1987) Incorporated Daeyang-ri and Okam-ri, Samhyang-myeon, Muan-gun
- (July. 6. 1994) Divided Iro-dong into Yonghae-dong and Sang-dong (29 dongs)
- (Jan. 01. 1997) Rearranged administrative dongs (29 dongs ⇒ 26 dongs)
- (Aug. 25. 1998) Opened Seohaean Expressway
- (Apr. 01. 2004) Commenced KTX service
- (Aug. 07. 2006) Merged and reduced administrative dongs (26 dongs ⇒ 22 dongs)
- (Dec. 26. 2011) Rearranged Ogam-dong to Ogam-dong and Buju-dong (23 dongs)